• The World Trade Organization comes into
being, an event that would lead to protests and
controversy around the world on the part of
citizens concerned about the economic ramifications of streamlined
• Kevin Mitnick, a notorious computer hacker, is
finally captured by the FBI.
• Close to 6,500 people are killed when an
earthquake measuring 7.3 on the Richter scale
strikes the city of Kobe in Japan.
• Steve Fosset flies across the Pacific Ocean in
a hot air balloon, taking off in South Korea
and landing in Saskatchewan, Canada.
• Barings Bank, the oldest investment bank based
in the United Kingdom is brought down
through the actions of a single broker in the
Tokyo Stock Exchange that incur over 1 billion dollars in losses.
• Yahoo!, the popular search engine, web
directory and email service is founded by Jerry
Wang and David Filo.
• 168 people are murdered by domestic terrorists
in Oklahoma City when a bomb destroys
a significant portion of the Alfred P. Murrah
• 11.5 billion dollars in damage occur and 100
lives are lost as 11 hurricanes pound the
Atlantic coast in one of the busiest storm
seasons on record.
• eBay, another giant of internet commerce comes
into being as an online auction house.
• The Million Man March reaches the Capitol
Buildings in Washington, D.C. The March
consisted of black men and was organized in order
to address the concerns regarding national social problems and voter
• Yitzhak Rabin, Prime Minister of Israel, is
assassinated. Rabin had won the Nobel Peace
Prize for his efforts in reducing the violence in
the Middle East the year before.