• The United States enacts Operation Desert
Storm, destroying the Iraqi army and ending
the Gulf War in a few short weeks.
• IRA forces attack the residence of the Prime
Minister of Great Britain with mortars.
• 6 Irish nationals are released from prison
after 16 years when a court of appeals ruled
that police officers and officials involved in
the IRA bombing case fabricated evidence in order to get the
• French citizens elect their first ever female
premier, Edith Cresson.
• The first apartheid legislation is finally
struck from the books in South Africa, marking the
beginning of the end for racial segregation in
• The Warsaw Pact, the European Communist version
of NATO, ceases to exist as all
parties involved voluntarily withdraw from the
treaty holding them together.
• Boris Yeltsin is elected as president of
Russia in the first ever public vote held in the
formerly Soviet nation.
• Cannibal and serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer's
arrest makes sensational headlines as the
details of his gruesome acts are revealed.
• A video is released of driver Rodney King being
beaten by L.A. police officers following a
traffic stop, igniting a national controversy.
• Communist elements within Russia attempt a coup
to overthrow Mikhail Gorbachev's and
Boris Yeltsin's policies of reform, but they were
defeated by an overwhelming show of support from the Russian people
for their change-inducing leaders. This event would catalyze the
dissolution of the old Soviet Union over the next few months.
• Pan American World Airways, better known as Pan
Am, declares bankruptcy.
• The Dead Sea Scrolls, an important historical
document detailing the same period of time
as the Bible's Old Testament, are exhibited to
• Jean-Bertrand Aristide is deposed as President
• Mount Pinatubo erupts in the Philippines,
killing over 300 people in one of the largest
volcanic events ever recorded.