Married… with Children’s Peggy Bundy is one of the greatest TV moms of the 90s and perhaps of all time. She makes us want to sit on the couch all day eating bonbons while watching talk shows and home shopping channels. Even though she is no Suzy Homemaker, avoids work of any kind like the plague (laziness is a tradition for the women in her family after all), and spends Al’s money faster than he can make it selling shoes, Peggy still loves her family very much. Her iconic look with the red bouffant hair, tight
clothing and high heeled shoes makes Peggy Bundy an excellent 90s costume idea… and one that is fairly easy to pull off. In fact you might have several of her costume elements sitting in your closet right now. Let’s take a look at what makes a great Peggy Bundy.
- Clothes: Peggy’s wardrobe is a mishmash of outdated 60s and 80s styles with in-your-face sexiness and a dash of trash. The tighter the clothes the better. For tops think animal prints, bold patterns, or you can opt for solids with a flowing over shirt. If you’re daring, don’t be afraid to show some cleavage. For bottoms think skintight Capri length pants typically in a solid color like black. Shoot for leggings or something spandex-y.
- Shoes: Peggy is all about the open-toed stiletto. In fact, these high heeled shoes gave her a unique walk. Be sure to practice your “Peggy shuffle” to add another layer to your costume persona.
- Accessories: Top off your outfit with chunky jewelry (necklace, earrings and bracelet) and a wide belt.
- Hair: Peggy’s red bouffant do (or poof) is her trademark. Purchase a long hair red wig and style it up. Take a curling iron or hot rollers to it, tease it and hairspray those locks to achieve her classic look.
- Makeup: There’s nothing subtle about Peggy’s look so be sure to go the extra layer with your makeup, particularly on the cheeks and lips.
- *BONUS Item*: Grab a box of Peggy’s favorite treat, bonbons.
If you’re going to a costume party with friends why not make it a family affair and add Al, Kelly, and Bud to your Married… with Children entourage. This classic 90s TV family is sure to be a hit!
To help you pull together this great 90’s costume, we’ve provided links below to buy any of the key elements that you might be missing.